Having a loved one in a nursing home can be hard on everyone. It can be especially difficult during times when family typically comes together on special occasions. Don't let the fact that your loved one is in a different setting get in the way of your celebration, especially when it comes to celebrating their birthday.
Facility Monthly Birthday Celebrations
Nursing homes might choose to celebrate resident birthdays in their own way. A popular way to celebrate is by having a monthly birthday celebration for all the residents of the facility with a birthday that month. Families can often come and celebrate, also. Check with the nursing home to see if they do anything like this.
Family Birthday Celebrations
You may wish to celebrate your loved one's birthday as a family on their special day. There are many ways to do this, even if you can't leave the nursing home.
Types of Parties
- Hold a party and invite other residents. Your loved one might want to include some of their friends at the facility in their celebration, along with their family. If you choose to do this, you will need to work closely with the staff at the center in order to set it up. When planning a party with other residents, you will have to hold the party at a time that works for everyone, and you will have to consider any dietary restrictions they have.
- Have a private party. It may be possible to use a public room at the nursing home to have a private party for your family and friends. Your facility may have an all-purpose room you can use for a period of time, or you may even be able to use the dining room at a time it isn't in use.
- Have a small gathering in the room. You can also simply celebrate in your loved one's room. A celebration doesn't need to be extravagant and huge. It may be easiest and less stressful on everyone to keep things low key.
Things to Include
- Decorations Regardless of where you have the party or who you invite, decorate for the occasion. Your loved one will appreciate it, especially if you are able to bring some familiar things from home to decorate with.
- Photos Your loved one will appreciate seeing pictures from the past. Other residents and staff members will enjoy it, also.
- Food from Home Bringing special food that your loved one enjoys is a sure way to make their celebration special.
- Flowers Floral arrangements can serve as a decoration and also freshen up the room after the party.
- Music Music will make any occasion festive.
When celebrating your loved one's birthday or other special occasion, make sure to watch them for signs of stress. Depending on their condition, the excitement and activity of a party can exhaust them easily. The last thing you want is to cause them stress on their special day! Contact a local nursing home like Regina Nursing Center for more information.Share